www-infrastructure-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Brooklyn not in http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:42:52 GMT

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 1:54 AM, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
> 
> 
> On 2015-01-21 09:47, jan i wrote:
>> 
>>> Can we all agree that we need to put this into LDAP?
>> 
>> I agree with you  that LDAP is the right place for such information, and I
>> do not see so many podlings fail that it should be a major concern. However
>> I think a discussion on general@i.a.o is needed.
>> 
>> If PPMC/committers maintenance of a podling is moved to LDAP, the mentors
>> and/or PPMC will no longer be able to maintain it them self. The script to
>> update LDAP is only available to officers (chairs) and infra, meaning we
>> move a task and the incubator chair needs to agree to that.
>> 
>> If incubator agrees on this approach then I assume David (v.p. infra) will
>> be relatively easy to convince.
>> 
>> rgds
>> jan i
> Podlings are experiments, not actual projects, in as much as a podling is no more than
a sub project much like mod_ftp or the Nth commons sub-project. Are you suggesting we add
LDAP groups for all sub projects? We have LDAP (UNIX) groups for committers for the sake of
maintaining a working authorization/authenication scheme, which is a moot point for incubator
where we exercise universal commit bit.
> 
> As I understand it, the sentiment seems to be "let's put it in LDAP instead of tracking
it in a file".
> 
> Let's list some pros and cons for this LDAP idea as opposed to using the auth file for
tracking:
> 
> Pros:
> - it's in LDAP instead of a text file.
> - it may (or may not) be easier to get a list of project members
> 
> Cons:
> - Our current setup would be invalidated
> - We'd have to change our account and podling request processes
> - We'd have to change the graduation process significantly
> - The Incubator chair would have to manage all this or we would have to rework how LDAP
works
> - We'd have to create a new OU for this, which would mean yet more work on all auth schemes
> - There would/could be disputes over what is canonical at graduation if a resolution
conflicts with LDAP
> - We would have to import all the previously established podlings into LDAP (this would
be no small task)
> - We would likely create precedence for all sub-projects to have their own LDAP group
(yet another OU?)
> - Unless someone from the Infra PMC steps up to do this voluntarily, it would have an
added cost of $N to do.
> - The auth file would have to have all its current podling auth entries changed to LDAP.
> 
> If the only reason for moving to LDAP is "I won't have to change a text file", then I
really fail to see the reason to do this.
> 
> What is the actual gain here? It certainly won't make anything easier for infra.
> How does it in any way compare to the cost of doing such a move?

I understand why you’re hesitant to take this on.  You manage volunteer staff and have a
limited budget for those who are paid.  From your point of view what we have “works” and
there are higher priority items that you are responsible for getting done.

With that said, I would point out that your long list of “cons” is symptomatic of the
problem caused by not putting podling committer and PPMC information in LDAP.  The current
mechanism of capturing podling group information is disparate, brittle, and inconsistent.
 I don’t think that you’re claiming that the current setup is ideal; you just have to
deal with limited resources to get things done.

What I am proposing is that I construct a plan to get us to a better place.  I will create
the conversion scripts, LDIF files, etc. and coordinate the effort with the podlings.  All
I need is the assistance of someone w/ the privileges and the experience to review my proposed
changes.  I will do the overwhelming bulk of the work.

I don’t think there’s anything to lose by this proposal.  If I don’t follow up w/ what
I propose then we are simply left with our current state of affairs.  If I deliver, we’ll
be in better shape overall and things will be much more simple and consistent.

wdyt?


Regards,
Alan





Mime
View raw message