From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Brooklyn not in http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:48:16 GMT

<adc@toolazydogs.com>

Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> [...]
added?

would turn it around and ask, is

authorization file for SVN -

but one can be provided.

the code that generates those

data defining the members of

LDAP group.

on this page?

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-authorization-template>

>>> So for podlings it’s all incubator committers, as Jan said in another email?
>>>

>> Correct.
>>
>>> The podling committer membership and PPMC membership information seems to be
spread around if at all.  Does it make sense to create LDAP groups for them to provide a canonical
source?

>> In my experience, podlings don't do a good job of keeping up with the
>> data that needs to be stored in so many locations.
>> (Their website, their status file, the svn auth file). Adding yet
>> another place to keep up with things seems the wrong direction to
>> head.
>
> I’m hearing a description of all the complicated things that occur because we don’t
put podling membership information in LDAP.

What complicated things?

> We can simplify that, that’s a tooling issue.
> there’s no requirement to have membership information in a website and if there is
it should be auto generated from LDAP anyway
> the status file should be auto generated from LDAP anyway
> the svn auth file should be pulling info from LDAP and does do that for non-podlings

Not every group in the SVN auth file is in LDAP

>> Presumably if we added an LDAP group for the podling we'd also need to
>> add a PPMC group for the podling as well.

No, I don't think that would be required.
Or a good thing, because PPMCs are not PMCs.

> Yes, and that would be a good thing.

It would be more work for Infra and the podling.
There is no distinction between PPMC and podling committers.
This only occurs once the podling graduates.

>> I am also not sure that it gives a lot of advantages, and I know it
>> adds overhead, overhead that can currently only be dealt with by a PMC
>> Chair. With that said, what problem are we actually trying to solve?
>
> The problem that there is no source for PPMC membership at all and that podling membership
is implicitly managed in an SVN auth file.

The source is the SVN auth file.

> Frankly, I’m surprised that I’m getting pushback in putting podling group information
in LDAP.

It would be more work overall.
The LDAP group would have to be created (and then deleted if the
podling does not graduate).

And the group would still have to be maintained by someone.

It's no harder to update the SVN auth file than to update LDAP.
Indeed I would say it is simpler. And it's obvious who is already in the group.