From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a canonical location for peoples' employers?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:11:16 GMT
On 20 January 2015 at 23:00, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 20, 2015, at 1:55 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 20 January 2015 at 20:57, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a canonical location for peoples' employers?
> >>

> > Another question, which might be more relevant, why should people (==
> > committers) tell who their eployers are ?
> >
> > We are in Apache as the people we are, not because we get paid from a
> > company.
> >
> > I will be surprised if this information exist apart from few special
> cases.
>
> How else can we know if we have a diverse community or if all the
> committers are from the same company?

that is a good question, but we do not have it in the ICLA nor in any other
required information.

"The special cases" to me is exactly for podlings, where a company comes
with a number of employes and maybe also signs a CCLA. That is very
different from when the same people come "alone" one by one.

We do theoretically have a problem with "diverse community", but since we
(ASF) are so keen about not ackowledging the companies but only the
individuals, registrating the company would be a contradication.

To be fair, I think many people would go away if they had to register their
employers.

rgds
jan i