From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: The email search device
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:38:55 GMT
> On Jan 18, 2015, at 2:28 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, if we could work out the auth required to give janI a 'reply'
> button, that would be good.

I suppose I need to catch up on that thread to understand what you mean by that.  :)

> To make people happy with search, we need to index, I suppose, on a
> bunch of fields, allow searches that query these fields in various
> useful ways, and then show people a browsing interface that is less
> that horribly frustrating. Oh, and let them send replies.
>
> I don't see us using a REST API to allow a search engine to crawl the
> archives for indexing, but maybe I'm thinking small somehow.

The layout of EZMLM on hermes for mailing list archives is pretty straightforward and gives
you the entire mail message including its headers.  But I doubt that indexing directly on
hermes would be welcome.

My REST API provides the entire mail message, including headers, too but maybe a simple rsync
would serve your purposes as well.

If you need help goking the EZMLM setup on hermes I can help you out there.  It’s pretty
straightforward once you understand it.  My code is also a good source of what the various
directories are used for as well as how to get to the original mail messages in the archives.

Regards,
Alan