From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Brooklyn not in http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:11:40 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2015, at 2:53 PM, Tony Stevenson<pctony@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> The harmonization effort is exactly what I’m trying to do and I want to help.
 Is someone working on this?  If not can I take a crack at it in a similar manner as this
podling project?
>> Sorry, what is 'this' exactly?  I haven't kept up with the thread TBH as it was going
past so quickly and quite honestly, I lost interest quickly.

> Currently podling membership information is partially maintained in the Subversion authorization
file, thus making it incomplete.  PPMC membership is not captured at all.

> I want to write up a proposal for putting the information into LDAP under its own OU.
 I will write up the plan, conversion scripts, LDIF files, update documentation, and coordinate
w/ podlings and the Incubator to get it done.

Please note that there are some significant technical consequences to this (depending upon
the exact nature of the changes) - for example adding that to an ou that was a child ou of
the incubator )whcih it probably should be) will cause some of the services that query ldap
tp incorrectly classify them, and perhaps there misuse them etc.

It's not all doom and gloom. I'd rather see effort into getting other data into LDAP first
- as this has been around for a long time, and the PPMC additions seems like such a small
win for such a huge effort investment, right now.  One day it will all be in LDAP.