From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Error git cloning an Apache mirror
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:22:27 GMT
Hi

I'm a committer on the Lucene/Solr project and I wanted to try setting up a
Git clone for the project's SVN, and work with it over Git SVN. I followed
the instructions here: http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache.

First I did:

git clone git://git.apache.org/lucene-solr.git

But I received

Cloning into 'lucene-solr'...
fatal: read error: Invalid argument

When I do (note 'http', not 'git'):

git clone http://git.apache.org/lucene-solr.git

It works.

Any ideas why I receive the fatal error on the first attempt?

I use Git on Windows version 1.9.4.msysgit.2 which seems to be the latest
maintained version.

Also, I noticed that our Github mirror is outdated (3-4 days behind), so I
wanted to ask what's the preferred/official method (in terms of INFRA) -
clone the Apache mirror, the Github mirror, or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks in advance,
Shai