From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Current status of a MacOS build bot
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:47:11 GMT
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there was already a lot of discussion and I believe also some ongoing
> work to provide a MacOS build bot. Can anybody tell me what the current
> status is? A working and available build bot is somewhat important for
> the OpenOffice project to ensure that builds can be done in the future
> and don't depend on any private machine.
>
> I am interested to help with setting up a working build environment for
> AOO if a Mac machine can be made available as discussed.
>
> Any kind of further information is highly appreciated and welcome.
>
> The same is true for Linux build bots running an older CentOS system
> that can be used to support our baseline for OpenOffice. The baseline
> ensures that the OpenOffice builds can be installed on as many as
> possible Linux versions. Well it would be better to build it from
> scratch for any Linux distros but the cooperation here lacks of
> volunteers on both sides. It's potentially more a political problem
> where I am personally not interested in.

On the Linux buildbot front, it might make sense to see if that is something
we can spin up on demand - please look at the work done with Packer.
If we can use that to create a base image (plus the puppet manifests
to get it into a state you need) we could keep an image available to
deploy on demand for CentOS. Even if we have to keep a VM around all
the time, it likely makes sense for us to configure it with
Packer+Puppet.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/tools/packer/

--David