From Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Writable github repos?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:16:46 GMT
We might simply ask github to provide push records to us.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> The scenario you mentioned is not valid
>
> a.) I for one do NOT accept pull requests from github! I only apply single requests where
I also have a JIRA + diffs
> b.) each ASF committer must commit his changes HIMSELF. Committing for others is disregarded.
>
> If you send patches in my name to the list then I will speak up and catch that. And no
one will apply those patches, because of b.)
> If a patch is tracked by mail + JIRA, then we at least have the remote IP and tons of
other stuff like the mx header logged.
> In case of any later problem this very commit can be identified very easily.
> The same for a pull request leaves no whatever way to even track which commits are in
question once the original repo got deleted from github.

> Don't get it wrong. I like GIT a lot. I even wrote the initial parts of the german translation
for GIT (back in 2006 or so) and the first version of the maven-git-plugin back then. But
while I love GIT, I don't think we can use GIT without the push verification we have atm.
This is what makes all the difference between GIT projects hosted at the ASF and at somewhere
else (not only github).

contains e.g. a commit from ke4qqq@apache.org is REALLY from you?

>>> EVERYONE can create such a commit on github! There is NO authorization required!
just git-config the email and name. There is no GPG for commits in git, only for tags.

>>> People pulling in changes will likely see 'oh a commit from David, fine' and
will pull that in.

>>> How to prevent that?
>>>
>>> I asked this 4 years ago and there is still no good answer to it afaik. Without
this solved we CANNOT SUFFICIENTLY TRACK OUR CODE PROVENANCE!