From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writable github repos?
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 01:56:29 GMT
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Joe Schaefer
<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Two things Benson: first your ICLA is really about third-party contributions and your
acceptance and incorporation thereof.  It doesn't spell out precisely your due-diligence requirements,
but the gist of it is that you are confident you have the legal rights necessary to include
the contribution.  If you aren't that confident, then we ask that you request an ICLA from
the contributor.

Understood. If I have a point, it's that the quality of the execution
of these responsibility varies on a scale of something to Mark.

> Second, there is nothing stopping a well-funded "evil" organization from securing a PMC
post on a project with a bogus ICLA, so the idea that we need to fear only third party contributions
is nonsense.  There are a number of ways to game the system.  As you say it boils down to
reasonable assurances based on the likelihood and potential impact of harm.

> On Friday, June 27, 2014 8:49 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Joseph Schaefer
> <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>> I think that is the point of an icla for committers, because otherwise the apache
license suffices.

>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> This would at least solve the problem with who pushed what.
>>> Are you talking about pushes to an ASF project repo on github or to all github
commits we pull in for a pull-request?