From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Infrastructure at ASF is built from scratch
Date Sun, 15 Jun 2014 06:57:55 GMT
On 14 June 2014 21:08, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> I'm quoting loosely from Joe but he may have meant it to refer to the
> EZMLM host, hermes.

When we had the big mail problem, hermes was indeed being "rebuilt".
Another piece of hardware was hijacked, and hermes was installed there. But
"building" in this sense still meant using a standard kernel and lots of
standard packages.

If you want to dig into it, then have a look at infrastructure/trunk/docs/
thats where we a.o. keep all our runbooks, which describes how to rebuild a
host/vm/service. I hope you will be pleasantly  surprised how much we
depend on standards.

rgds
jan I.