From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Infrastructure at ASF is built from scratch
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:49:31 GMT
On 14 June 2014 19:18, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> I've been told that we build our own software across the board, right down
> to the kernel.

I am not sure from where you have this information.

I have over the last year commissioned around 20 vms, all ubuntu standard.
We are in general trying only to use packages included in standard
distributions (ubuntu, freeebsd and centos).

That being said a number of our servers run with a "home built" httpd,
simply to test the newest features (distros are often old releases), and
our sshd on the vm is also special (but merely because the standard does
not offer the ldap integration we want).

Our core services is a little bit different, there we more often need to
built packages. We do however not have a special infra kerne.

> This strikes me as excessive so there must be some reason for doing things
> this way that I do not understand.  Can someone explain it to me?

I think you have been misinformed. But do feel free to be bit more specific.

rgds
jan I.