From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Discussion on enabling users to specify own machines as dynamic hosts
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:33:25 GMT
There's been a lot of discussion on other lists like infra@ about targeted
donations as well as whether/how projects can use external/non-apache CI
servers.

My takeaway from the other discussions is that CI is not a "required"
service for Apache and that it is better for projects to simply build up
their own CI and not try to integrate it back to Apache builds.a.o.

When I think about the kinds of things Flex is going to want to do, like
install several browsers and players and AIR, it would further burden
those working on CI if other projects shared those servers and could have
their builds broken by the changes we make for Flex.  So right now, I'm
convinced we should just leverage the developer-controlled machines
exclusively for Flex CI.  The only "requirement" is that we should finish
that "setup" script and check it into SCM so that any developer can get a
server and set it up.  That way the project isn't hugely dependent on the
developers who are donating their CI Vms.

-Alex