From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discussion on enabling users to specify own machines as dynamic hosts
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:51:14 GMT
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On 16 April 2014 22:45, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>

> > On 4/16/14 1:08 PM, "jan i" <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >And from a PMC perspective I would worry about a build in a
> non-controlled
> > >enviroment.
> > Is an Azure VM considered "non-controlled"?  I get that my personal
> > computer which I use for browsing the internet and reading email is prone
> > to attack, but if an Azure VM is only running CI, isn't that safe enough
> > for nightly builds which are not an official release?
> >

> > >There is a big difference between developer builds which can happen
> > >everywhere (I also build on my own machine), and builds that are sent to
> > >tester or maybe even voted on.
> > Are we allowed to vote on bits built by a CI server?
> >

> I have raised this question a couple of times, and the answers have been
> consistent:
>
> As a PMC you need to get the source and build it, in order to validate it,
> but builds from trusted buildbots can be used for validation. And just at
> apacheCon denver one discussion concluded that build machines where we
> (asf) do not know whats installed cannot be seen as secure.

Also, official releases need to be signed by a committer (Release Manager)
There is a chance that the artifact could get corrupted (maliciously or
because of a network error) during the download to the committers machine.
It seems unwise for a committer to sign an artifact that they din't build
themselves.

Thanks,
Om