From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discussion on enabling users to specify own machines as dynamic hosts
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:04:48 GMT
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> This is a blatant re-post of my thread over on infra@ [0].
>
> During the meetup at ApacheCon, for a brief window discussion focused on
> enabling people to 'donate' their machines are dynamic build slaves for
> Jenkins to use.
> From the conversation, as far as I am aware this is not currently possible.
> Seeing as dedicated build hosts are under constant stress, is this
> something which would be appealing for us to pursue?
>
> [0] *http://s.apache.org/gE <http://s.apache.org/gE>*

+1 for this idea.  Because of our constant issues with the Apache Build
servers (especially the windows slaves), a couple of us committers have
been started deploying and maintaining our own Jenkins instances on Windows
Azure VMs (part of the complimentary MSDN accounts we get as Apache
committers)

We have been discussing ways to build a network of slave machines to make
our builds go faster.  Something like this can help the entire Apache build
system as well.

Thanks,
Om