From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whimsy offline queries
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:54:49 GMT
On 7 January 2014 17:50, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:34 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The vagrant installation installs whimsy as https://host/whimsy, i.e.
>> a subdirectory, whereas the real installation is at
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/
>>
>> Is there a reason for this?
>>

> On the "real" whimsy-vm,  the document root for whimsy is /var/www/whimsy.
> (FWIW, there is also a /var/www/infra which contains
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/infra/www).
> So the difference isn't the directory structure, but rather the apache
> configuration.
>
> Also, the whimsy www code is checked out in two different places:
>>
>> /var/tools
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy
>>
>> /var/www/whimsy
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/www
>>
>> Is that necessary, or could they be combined?
>> i.e. use /var/tools/www/whimsy for the web pages rather than
>> /var/www/whimsy ?
>>
>> It would be easier when updating the box from SVN if there was only one
>> copy.
>> And when testing changes, it's currently necessary to update files in
>> one of two different places depending on how the file is used by the
>> application - or one has to update both.
>>

> The original thinking was to keep things which aren't to be served by the
> web server (.rb files as contrasted to to .cgi, and for that matter .png,
> .css and other files) outside of the document root.  Subsequently, a
> decision was made to put the whimsy code into a public part of the svn
> tree, so that's no longer a consideration.
>
> All /var/tools needs is asf.rb and the asf directory, so this could be
> pushed down into a tools subdirectory, but that would only eliminate
> duplication.
>
> Your suggestion (changing the document root) is even better.

Turns out it's not as simple as changing the document root to /var/tools/www.
This works fine for the static pages, but the suexec module appears to
be hard-coded to use /var/www as the document root.
This causes problems for cgi scripts.

Also there are several links created within /var/www
- for example /var/www/members/received =>
/var/tools/secretary/documents/received

One option might be to link /var/www to /var/tools/www
This works fine for the static pages.

However I'm not yet sure if the other links will all work if /var/www
is not a separate directory tree.

Still working on it.