From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data question
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:34:27 GMT
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> Steven,
>
> Some of this information won't be so easy to get.  For example we cannot tell you how
many downloads each project has had, as almost all of that data is held locally by the mirrors
and we don't currently collect it.

One exception is the Apache OpenOffice, where we distribute install
sets primarily via the SourceForge network.  In that case we do have
daily download numbers, including breakdown by country, operating
system, etc.   A summary report of downloads by country is here:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html

SourceForge also has a REST API that you can query to generate other reports.

Regards,

-Rob

> Other data is a little easier to collect, but I'm afraid some of it is likely considered
personal data, so we'd almost certainly not release it to a 3rd party. This is mostly because
the data you have already found is constructed from other data, which is interspersed with
some personal data. A lot of the data will unfortunately be stored within the SVN history.
However I suspect a lot of it will not be contained within the public repo, though clearly
some of it will be.

> The only way I can be more helpful to you, I think, is to ask you to give us some specific
requests for data and I can let you know if we can either get that data, and if we are able
to distribute it.  I realise this may not be as helpful as you want, but we are prudent about
releasing data.

> On 22 Oct 2013, at 03:03, Steven Lloyd Wilson <slwilson4@wisc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I first emailed the media contact with Apache and he recommended that I resend to
this list, with a somewhat unorthodox request for information/direction.

>> I'm a PhD student writing a dissertation on the effects of the Internet on politics
around the world. One of the variables that I'm looking at is how technically literate the
populations of different countries are. The way I'm measuring this is through a variety of
sources getting at open source downloads, usage of open source software, etc.

>> I've found some excellent information on Apache's site, including the map of where
contributors are located, so I think that somewhere behind the scenes should be the specific
data that I'm looking for: the numbers of download for each project, number of contributors,
number of mirrors, etc. by year and country, since the start of the Apache Foundation.