From Steven Lloyd Wilson <slwils...@wisc.edu>
Subject Data question
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:03:16 GMT
Hello,

I first emailed the media contact with Apache and he recommended that I
resend to this list, with a somewhat unorthodox request for
information/direction.

I'm a PhD student writing a dissertation on the effects of the Internet
on politics around the world. One of the variables that I'm looking at
is how technically literate the populations of different countries are.
The way I'm measuring this is through a variety of sources getting at
open source downloads, usage of open source software, etc.

I've found some excellent information on Apache's site, including the
map of where contributors are located, so I think that somewhere behind
the scenes should be the specific data that I'm looking for: the numbers
of download for each project, number of contributors, number of mirrors,
etc. by year and country, since the start of the Apache Foundation.

Could you point me in the right direction on this matter?

Thanks!
Steven Wilson
PhD Candidate in Political Science
University of Wisconsin-Madison