From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:04:22 GMT
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <jarcec@apache.org> wrote:
> There seems to be some confusion about my note, so let me clarify. Github Enteprise is
product offering very similar to the Attlasian Stash. You will get the product and you will
install it on your hardware. It's not service in the cloud or something like that, so master
copy of the code would be on ASF hardware, exactly the same way as Attlasian Stash is working.

> My point here is that if we are considering to install Stash to have github-like functionality,
we might also install (on our hardware) the github software itself.

IMO - the value of github isn't the software. Yes it's nice and
pretty, but the real value is in the community hub that it's become. I
routinely discover new projects on github, and that central hub makes
it easy for me to contribute back small patches - but pull requests
and forks aren't magic inherently, we really can do all of that with
git already (albeit without the pretty gui).

--David