From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Canonical sources for information
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 22:19:20 GMT
On 28 May 2013 23:11, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> How about returning just public information when credentials are not supplied
and returning full information if credentials are supplied?

>> The issue here is that your credentials are used to bind to LDAP to collect this
data, AIUI.

> Actually, I don't believe so.

Aren't the credentials used to restrict which data is returned?
i.e. members get more info than committers?

> Anybody with shell access to certain
> machines can obtain this data (read only).  This includes role
> accounts, including the one used by the web server.

I think that's a separate feature.

AFAIK it's how the people.a.o cron job works.

> Given the way HTTP authentication works, it probably would be best if
> we want to provide an unauthenticated service that we do so with a
> separate URI.

Or (as I already wrote) update the people cron job to generate
additional output file formats.