From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting username from full name
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 16:38:40 GMT
On 13 May 2013 16:37, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>
>> Alan Cabrera wrote on Mon, May 13, 2013 at 08:13:02 -0700:
>>>
>>> Why is storing podling information in LDAP instead of podlings.xml not a good
idea?

>> What is "podling information"?  What is wrong with having it in
>> podlings.xml?  What is the benefit to ASF from having it in LDAP?
>
> Having all ASF organization information in a single place has great value.
>
> Volunteers who are attempting to write tooling don't have to go on an "Easter egg hunt"
for information, they don't have to deal with the myriad of data formats and scripting languages,
data isn't' duplicated all over the place as it is now.

There is some documentation on where various bits of data are held:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/documents/records-discuss/datafiles.txt

> I'll turn your question around and ask, what's wrong with having it in LDAP?

One issue is that updating a file in SVN is a lot easier than updating LDAP.
There would need to be a new interface to update the data; probably a
web interface as LDAP support in scripting languages is fairly patchy
at best (and may only be available for some OSes). For example AFAIK
LDAP is not available for Ruby on Windows.

Another issue is that AFAIK LDAP updates are not sent to any e-mail
list; with SVN it's easy to review the changes.

More importantly, podlings.xml is used in various ways to build the
Incubator website and for other purposes.
There is a fair amount of tooling that relies on it, so the file would
probably still be needed.

Retrieving the information from LDAP is relatively expensive.