From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Canonical sources for information
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 17:24:59 GMT
On 27 May 2013 22:18, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 27, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Tony Stevenson <pctony@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 27 May 2013, at 18:15, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I need to know what are the official sources for the following:
>>>
>>> full name from username
>>
>> ldap
>>
>>> whether a person is a corporate member from username
>>
>>> What PMC/PPMCs the person belongs to from username
>>
>> ldap, well this will show group membership.
>>
>>> I need to get access to this data from the Python utilities that I am writing.
>>
>> ldap is only available from within the ASF network, so you would have to run this
from there.

> Inconvenient but not a "deal breaker"

There is already a cron job that extracts a fair amount of information
from LDAP (and elsewhere) to produce the people.a.o pages.
This information is currently published as HTML, for example:

http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
which contains the following information:
SVN id	Name	SVN Projects
Member (bold)
URL (link)

Maybe it would make more sense to modify that to additionally generate
the output in CSV/JSON so it can be used by anyone?

Scripts would then just need HTTP access to get the data, and they
would only have access to the data that had been cleared for
publication.

>> Can I please confirm to what end you want to use this data? Where you will store
it, and how you intend to store it securely (privacy etc)?

> Sure, I'm writing tools that will help with things such as mailing list monitoring, mentor
podling tracking, etc.  The tooling will be tracking users by their apache usernames.  Sometimes
I need to get their names from those usernames.

> The data will never be stored other than for webpages that get generated.
>
> For example, the podlings.xml file that the Incubator uses contains full names for the
mentors and champions. The file really should have apache usernames since these are really
foreign indexes into commiters/members.  If a full name gets spelled differently, e.g. adding
a middle initial, the referential integrity gets broken.

> With that said, I think that it would be a good thing to have a simple R/O rest API that
allows tooling to get information on a user.  For example: