From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Canonical sources for information
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 13:36:51 GMT
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> Having whimsy change would be a bad thing.  I need a simple, canonical, REST API to access
data and was hoping whimsy would be that API.  It makes no sense having a myriad of scripts
and libraries all with the same cookie cut code to access lower levels of information.  All
of that stuff should be behind an API like whimsy.  Then you'll have a single choke point
to control access.

A few things...

1) I wrote that JSON code on a whim, and it can be changed very
quickly.  As in an svn commit on my machine and an svn up on whimsy.
And that code was written long before your request.  And as far as I
know, you are the first user of it (IIRC, danielsh opted for the
text/plain interface).  Net: it is software.  It can be changed
quickly.

2) looking at that code[1], I immediately spot a bug.  While the HTML
interface will filter out data that a non-member couldn't see, the
JSON interface doesn't.  So I already need to open up that code.
While I am in there, if you have any requests, now would be a good
time.

3) that code is just a view.  The underlying model is shared between
several services.  Adding a new view is very trivial.

> Regards,
> Alan

- Sam Ruby

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/www/roster/committer.cgi