From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Getting username from full name
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 15:37:59 GMT

On May 13, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Alan Cabrera wrote on Mon, May 13, 2013 at 08:13:02 -0700:
>> On May 13, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>>> Do you want a catchall answer?  You haven't asked a concrete question
>>> yet, so there's no other kind of answer I can give you.
>>
>> Why is storing podling information in LDAP instead of podlings.xml not a good idea?
>
> What is "podling information"?  What is wrong with having it in
> podlings.xml?  What is the benefit to ASF from having it in LDAP?

Having all ASF organization information in a single place has great value.

Volunteers who are attempting to write tooling don't have to go on an "Easter egg hunt" for
information, they don't have to deal with the myriad of data formats and scripting languages,
data isn't' duplicated all over the place as it is now.

I'll turn your question around and ask, what's wrong with having it in LDAP?

Regards,
Alan