From Alan Cabrera <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Canonical sources for information
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 15:26:43 GMT

On May 29, 2013, at 6:36 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Having whimsy change would be a bad thing.  I need a simple, canonical, REST API
to access data and was hoping whimsy would be that API.  It makes no sense having a myriad
of scripts and libraries all with the same cookie cut code to access lower levels of information.
 All of that stuff should be behind an API like whimsy.  Then you'll have a single choke point
to control access.

> A few things...
>
> 1) I wrote that JSON code on a whim, and it can be changed very
> quickly.  As in an svn commit on my machine and an svn up on whimsy.
> And that code was written long before your request.  And as far as I
> know, you are the first user of it (IIRC, danielsh opted for the
> text/plain interface).  Net: it is software.  It can be changed
> quickly.

No worries.  I assume that you will make a reasonable effort to keep things stable and backward
compatible.

What kind of SLA are you providing with your service?  ;)

> 2) looking at that code[1], I immediately spot a bug.  While the HTML
> interface will filter out data that a non-member couldn't see, the
> JSON interface doesn't.  So I already need to open up that code.
> While I am in there, if you have any requests, now would be a good
> time.

Ok, atm I don't think I rely on that data.  What data would that be?

> 3) that code is just a view.  The underlying model is shared between
> several services.  Adding a new view is very trivial.

Yeah, it's the coalescing of data from disparate sources that makes your service so attractive
to me.

Regards,
Alan