From Alan Cabrera <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Getting username from full name
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 16:48:06 GMT

On May 13, 2013, at 9:38 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 May 2013 16:37, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

>>> What is "podling information"?  What is wrong with having it in
>>> podlings.xml?  What is the benefit to ASF from having it in LDAP?
>>
>> Having all ASF organization information in a single place has great value.
>>
>> Volunteers who are attempting to write tooling don't have to go on an "Easter egg
hunt" for information, they don't have to deal with the myriad of data formats and scripting
languages, data isn't' duplicated all over the place as it is now.

> There is some documentation on where various bits of data are held:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/documents/records-discuss/datafiles.txt
>
>> I'll turn your question around and ask, what's wrong with having it in LDAP?
>
> One issue is that updating a file in SVN is a lot easier than updating LDAP.
> There would need to be a new interface to update the data; probably a
> web interface as LDAP support in scripting languages is fairly patchy
> at best (and may only be available for some OSes). For example AFAIK
> LDAP is not available for Ruby on Windows.
>
> Another issue is that AFAIK LDAP updates are not sent to any e-mail
> list; with SVN it's easy to review the changes.
>
> More importantly, podlings.xml is used in various ways to build the
> Incubator website and for other purposes.
> There is a fair amount of tooling that relies on it, so the file would
> probably still be needed.
>
> Retrieving the information from LDAP is relatively expensive.

Maybe we can restate the problem in an implementation free statement.

All I want is a single source for all membership data.  I'd like the data to be accessible
in a language free way, e.g. XML or JSON.  Ideally via a rest service.

What if we had podling, board, project information in SVN and individual member information
in LDAP.  The latter only really needs to be updated/managed by infra.  The former can be
accessible to members via this REST API.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Alan