From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A server for Openmeetings
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:22:38 GMT
Hello infrastructure team,
could Apache spare a demo server for Openmeetings technology? Here is
a list of requirements or the server:

> virtual Ubuntu host
> 1Gb memory
> 20 Mbit/s of bandwidth (the more, the better)
> 25% of modern 2-core processor

We are also interested in opening two jabber channels (for Russian and
English real time messaging on openmeetings) with the following
requirements
1) history on the web site;
2) rss channel;
3) irc-like group chat;
4) I had four and forgot one... anyway it was conventional

Is it somehow possible?

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Tony Stevenson <pctony@apache.org> wrote:
> As I see Ross has replied, I dont want to drag this thread out, but to answer your specific
questions below:

> Alexei Fedotov wrote on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:59:17PM +0400:
>> [somehow missed dev@]
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Alexei Fedotov
>> <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > @sebastian sure 20 Mbit/s server that cannot replace openmeetings.de
>> > @tony I suspected that bandwidth can be a problem, I recall how Apache
>> > Harmony guys were banned due to frequent svn checkouts
>
> They werent banned due to bandwidth constraints, more that they were most likely killing
the SVN service for everyone else.

>> > I recall Apache owned several donated servers at different places, and
>> > the server don't need to be close to the whole Apache infra. Could one
>> > of these servers be used, or these remote donated servers are no
>> > longer available?
>
> You need to be clear, the only donated hardware we use are machines running at Y! that
are part of our larger build farm.  They are not intended to run meeting servers. Yes our
infrastructure is global, and you are right the infrastructure doesnt neccesarily have to
be in the same rack as everything else.  But there are still some constraints, for example
all locations must be conected to Internet2, or be a direct peer of their service.  We also,
dont tend to keep spare physical machines around as we usually plan our growth and replacement
cycle during the budgetting process. In short we can provide you with a VM, but I would want
to see incredibly strong data to back up the 20Mb requirement.  As we will need to pass this
up the chain to our colo, and they their provider.

circuit is only 50Mb.  This has to provide all our other services too, such as svn, mail,
www, mail-archives etc.
Adding another 20Mb is likely to upset folks at OSU.

 It's just the bandwidth requirements that make this look very unattractive.

For
Apache

Both of

I'm looking