From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Offer of an additional day at West Cambridge Day Nursery
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:01:27 GMT
Alexei Fedotov wrote on Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:22:38PM +0400:
> Hello infrastructure team,
> could Apache spare a demo server for Openmeetings technology? Here is
> a list of requirements or the server:
>
> > virtual Ubuntu host

This we can do.

> > 1Gb memory

This we can do.

> > 20 Mbit/s of bandwidth (the more, the better)

This we cannot do.  We have very limited bandwidth available at all of
our colo providers. We could not even guarantee you 5Mb/s. Sorry, but we
just do not have the ability to give you anywhere near what ou ask for.

> > 25% of modern 2-core processor

Your VM would be on a host shared with at least 20 other VMs,
guaranteeing this level of resource would likely impact other VMs
significantly, so we wouldn't do this.  We'd likely have to procure a
machine dedicated to the task, which in itself is possible (although we
have now missed the budgeting process, so would have to go to the board
cap in hand). But the bandwidth requirement is a major blocker which we
cannot resolve for you.

> We are also interested in opening two jabber channels (for Russian and
> English real time messaging on openmeetings) with the following
> requirements
> 1) history on the web site;

Is IRC not good enough for you? We do not run a jabber service here, and
to deploy one right now would be a rather non-trvial task for just two
channels.

> 2) rss channel;

What is one of these?  Never heard of an RSS 'channel' - do you mean an
RSS feed?  You are free to create one of these yourselves, and add it to
you site as you see fit, this is not something infra would do for you.

> 3) irc-like group chat;

Such as? We dont officially support anything like this.  The ASF has
several official registered IRC channels, but we do not run any services
oursevles. Most communities look after this requirement internally.

> 4) I had four and forgot one... anyway it was conventional
>
> Is it somehow possible?

I suspect the answer is no, not directly anyway. We just simply do not
have the resources available for you. I'm fairly sure this was discussed
sometime ago too when a similar request was made for a VM/server to run
the service on.

--
Cheers,
Tony