From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Official code signing certificate
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:53:29 GMT
On 3/20/13 9:37 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> So, basically:
>
> - project maintains a build script
>   (does checkout, build, and prepares end-user-facing package; doesn't
>    run unit/regression tests)

running unit/regression tests is not directly related to this. But it's
definitely a goal for AOO to run the automated tests with any build in
the future.

> - the script uses as input a certificate that only root@ has access to
>
> - root@ runs the script (against a specific tag and revision in svn) and
>   publishes the results

that is one way to handle it and from a security perspective the most
secure one. But I would root describe to only a very small group of
people with root access on the dedicated machine. This really depends on
what infra prefers and other options can be also possible.

> So... what kind of certificate is that?  How much does it cost, what
> kind of year to year maintenance it requires, etc.

for windows it is a
"Code Signing Certificates for Microsoft Authenticode
Digitally sign 32-bit or 64-bit user-mode (.exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi,
.xpi, and .xap files) and kernel-mode software. Provider for Microsoft
Windows Logo programs."

see [1] and [2]

[1] http://www.symantec.com/verisign/code-signing/microsoft-authenticode
[2] overview http://www.symantec.com/code-signing

I found a price by Symantec of 499$/year (reduced prices for 2 or 3
years) but there was already an opportunity that we can find a sponsor,
potentially a provider of such certificates.

Juergen