From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [INFO]: minor Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 respin release is coming
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:19:08 GMT
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> How will the OpenOffice auto-update feature work for this re-spun
> not-really-a-new-release ?

Each release uses a different URL that points to an XML file.  The XML
files list the available upgrades for each language.

So take an example, Polish.  The most recent version of Polish is
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, so pre-Apache.  When that version checks for an
update it retrieves this file:

http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update34/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Polish isn't listed there, so it does not notify the user.

When we then release the Polish version of AOO 3.4.1.  We'll edit the
XML to add an entry for Polish.  Within a week the 3.3.0 client will
retrieve the XML again, and see an update listed and notify the user.

So it should work identically to the original batch of AOO 3.4.1
languages.  It is just happening later.

Regards,

-Rob