From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [1/2] git commit: f92a685 -
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 02:14:40 GMT
I went ahead and added this here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/committer-practices.html

I'm not sure if everyone agrees with this practice, so I'm happy to revise/remove it - but
thought it might be a good place to start with documenting typical practices used by committers
here.

- Brett

On 06/06/2012, at 10:08 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 06/06/2012, at 4:51 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Merge commits do peculiar things- part of what happened
>> is that I committed my change locally first, then pulled
>> to sync up with the central repo, then pushed back.  Somehow
>> history gets reordered and that is supposed to be reflected
>> in these merge commit notices.
>
> Nothing peculiar here, though it can be a bit hard to grok from the mails at first look.
I actually prefer these notifications to github's approach of showing you the diffs of the
merge commits all over again, though.

> The common ancestor of the changes was 33cc902, the rev Joe had as HEAD when he made
his changes. What is shown here are the files changed by 4 commits on origin that were merged
in to Joe's copy when he pulled the changes. History wasn't reordered, it just runs in parallel
to each other :)

> Joe, you probably want this if you use git pull:
>
>  git config branch.master.rebase true
>
> That makes it the equivalent of "git fetch origin; git rebase origin/master" instead
of fetch and merge, so your changes will be rewritten against the latest commit and the merge
commit omitted.