From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [1/2] git commit: f92a685 -
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:12:47 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Merge commits do peculiar things- part of what happened
> is that I committed my change locally first, then pulled
> to sync up with the central repo, then pushed back.  Somehow
> history gets reordered and that is supposed to be reflected
> in these merge commit notices.

Diffs of merge commits are tricky as you'll either need to specify
against which one of the two or more parent commits you're doing the
diff, or use a three- or many-way diff notation to express all the
changes included in the merge.

A better approach IMHO is to send *push* instead of *commit*
notifications. The notification message includes a log of all the
commits being pushed, and a diff between the old and the new state of
the pushed branch. This is closer to the way svn commit notifications
work.

I wrote a script for doing that for our Git repositories at work, and
I can adjust it to work also for Apache if there's interest.

BR,

Jukka Zitting