From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [1/2] git commit: f92a685 -
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 03:45:52 GMT
Cool. I think your recommendation makes sense.

I'm glad to see something like this actually put down onto a web page.
One of the goals of the git project was to discover practices and
recommendations like this. (and yeah, I've seen the other doc on
git-wip-us)

Thanks,
-g

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> I went ahead and added this here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/committer-practices.html
>
> I'm not sure if everyone agrees with this practice, so I'm happy to revise/remove it
- but thought it might be a good place to start with documenting typical practices used by
committers here.

> - Brett
>
> On 06/06/2012, at 10:08 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>> On 06/06/2012, at 4:51 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>> Merge commits do peculiar things- part of what happened
>>> is that I committed my change locally first, then pulled
>>> to sync up with the central repo, then pushed back.  Somehow
>>> history gets reordered and that is supposed to be reflected
>>> in these merge commit notices.
>>
>> Nothing peculiar here, though it can be a bit hard to grok from the mails at first
look. I actually prefer these notifications to github's approach of showing you the diffs
of the merge commits all over again, though.

>> The common ancestor of the changes was 33cc902, the rev Joe had as HEAD when he made
his changes. What is shown here are the files changed by 4 commits on origin that were merged
in to Joe's copy when he pulled the changes. History wasn't reordered, it just runs in parallel
to each other :)

>> Joe, you probably want this if you use git pull:
>>
>>  git config branch.master.rebase true
>>
>> That makes it the equivalent of "git fetch origin; git rebase origin/master" instead
of fetch and merge, so your changes will be rewritten against the latest commit and the merge
commit omitted.