From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [1/2] git commit: f92a685 -
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 00:08:22 GMT

On 06/06/2012, at 4:51 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Merge commits do peculiar things- part of what happened
> is that I committed my change locally first, then pulled
> to sync up with the central repo, then pushed back.  Somehow
> history gets reordered and that is supposed to be reflected
> in these merge commit notices.

Nothing peculiar here, though it can be a bit hard to grok from the mails at first look. I
actually prefer these notifications to github's approach of showing you the diffs of the merge
commits all over again, though.

The common ancestor of the changes was 33cc902, the rev Joe had as HEAD when he made his changes.
What is shown here are the files changed by 4 commits on origin that were merged in to Joe's
copy when he pulled the changes. History wasn't reordered, it just runs in parallel to each
other :)

Joe, you probably want this if you use git pull:

  git config branch.master.rebase true

That makes it the equivalent of "git fetch origin; git rebase origin/master" instead of fetch
and merge, so your changes will be rewritten against the latest commit and the merge commit
omitted.

To ensure that is set up on any new repositories cloned:

  git config --global branch.autosetuprebase always

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter