From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Official code signing certificate
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:55:29 GMT
Guys, thanks all the same but I do not need a lesson in PKI.  It's not rocket science.

What we do need to do is look into options for a managed PKI, the issue with these is the
massive costs, for which we have not budgeted as it was not requested by anyone during the
budgeting process.
Do you have any suggestions on which vendors we should start with?  Symantec? Verisign? Once
we identify a vendor we will need to make sure it works, then we might well need to approach
the board to approve the funding.

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote on Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44:53AM -0700:
> Yes, a PFX file holds the private key of a PKI key pair.  The individual one can be used
for your signing things.  That is technically not needed for releases, since the ASF process
uses external signatures employing registered public keys of the committers who (counter-)sign
the artifacts.

> For Authenticode signatures which are embedded in the artifacts themselves (as you may
have done), there needs to be a certificate for Apache OpenOffice, not for you or I or any
other committer.  There has to be very strong control of that private key and its use in signings
to protect against it being used in signing counterfeit binaries, especially for malicious
software.  (Microsoft just revoked a CA because of a vulnerability that allowed just that
kind of thing.)

> If the ASF were a CA, they could issue the key pair for Apache OpenOffice (still subject
to all of the safeguards required) as well as ones for other projects.  This also means they
would be individually revocable if that became necessary.  This avoids requiring the Secretary
of the Foundation or some other official representative to obtain Authenticode certificates
for individual projects.  (Note: There could be a single ASF certificate used for all projects,
but it makes governance even trickier and revocation becomes super-painful.)

>  - Dennis

Authenticode certificates, Java certificates, etc.  Since it is technically ASF that is the
legal entity and the one that needs to carry out whatever is required to protect private keys,
being able to issue them (and revoke them) for individual projects might be expedient and
far more efficient.  The integrity of the signing procedure and the protection of the private
keys are unavoidably a matter for ASF concern and attention.
> [ ... ]
>
> Thanks Dennis for explaining it.
>
> In the past we used a certificate "Personal Information Exchange" pfx
> file + related password during the build and packing process to sign the
> different artifatcs that have to be signed. I don't know yet all the
> details and doing currently some analysis how the process worked.
>
> But it seem that pfx files can be an approach to manage the certificates
> at least for code signing.
>
> I will provide more information asap.
>
> Juergen
>

> >  - Dennis

started conversations, but nothing has ever come of it.  If it was this critical perhaps it
should have been mentioned earlier, ideally on the incubator proposal.

> > First up is the cost with purchasing these certs, we would almost certainly need
at least one cert per PMC, and AOO would likely need to share one with other podlings.  We
would then need to setup a corporate account and issue/manage them ourselves.  None of which
we have, nor were any of these budgeted for.

> > This is not a 'No you cant have it' - but it is a 'we dont have it yet, and we'd
need to do it'.  With that in mind you may want to give us any details you have.  If they
are private, please use  infrastructure-private@  if they are hyper-sensitive, or security
related please use root@

--

Cheers,