From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cloud services inquiry for Google Summer of Code project
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:59:59 GMT
Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote on Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:55:27PM +0100:
> Hi Tony/Infra-dev@,
>
> I wonder if there is any update you can provide simply based upon the
> lead-in time you guys require from ourselves to get suitable
> availability of cloud services.

Honestly, no idea.  We have not yet done this for anyone, and we wont be able to help you
until you give us a very precise request.
I dont mean to be rude or abrasive, but without such a detailed request we cant check pricing
etc, not too mention the time to set it all up.

Would a Linux VM we host not suffice?

> As I mentioned before, I don't envisage the student requiring the
> Amazon DynamoDB uptime until some time in July, however as we are
> beginning to code now I thought it best to inquire.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info
>
> Lewis
>
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney
> <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > Thanks for getting back to me
> >
> > On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Tony Stevenson <pctony@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Yes, we do have a cloud services budget, but it is quiet modest.  It won't
get you months of high cpu/high ram.

> > We will only require relative levels of cpu/ram based on the nature of
> > integration tests we decide to write for the project, however I do not
> > envisage us to get through to this type of testing for a month or so
> > as the module is still very much in planning. I envisage us requiring
> > larger levels of testing resources from around the mid term, which is
> > mid July onwards.
> >
> >> Before we elected to authorise the cost we'd likely want a much clearer image
of what is required, and for how long.

--

Cheers,
Tony