From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloud services inquiry for Google Summer of Code project
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 21:48:37 GMT
Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Tony Stevenson <pctony@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes, we do have a cloud services budget, but it is quiet modest.  It won't get you months
of high cpu/high ram.

We will only require relative levels of cpu/ram based on the nature of
integration tests we decide to write for the project, however I do not
envisage us to get through to this type of testing for a month or so
as the module is still very much in planning. I envisage us requiring
larger levels of testing resources from around the mid term, which is
mid July onwards.

> Before we elected to authorise the cost we'd likely want a much clearer image of what
is required, and for how long.

So what would be required: We we would be looking at writing an
integration test suite, where typically a cloud instance is initiated
and an integration suite is run then the instance is ripped down. We
would not require hours or days worth of cloud time so in this respect
I we are measuring performance and loading as oppose to continuous
ingestion or integration.

For how long: I imagine we would wish to have from around mid July
onwards until around the end of August, I hope I have answered your
question above as to the more literal sense of time. With regards to
the time costs money kind of time, hopefully I hjave addressed this
above when I described the nature of the tests and subsequently the
nature of the cloud time we would require.

> I have cc'd infrastructure-dev for now.

Thanks again, I've CC'd in Renato the student on the GSoC project so
he is kept in the loop on this one as well.
Best
Lewis