From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: A server for Openmeetings Re: OpenMeetings status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by SebastianWagner)
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:24:03 GMT
On 12 March 2012 07:24, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> There are requirements for hosting small conferences for ~8 people
> (like Apache board):

I've not seen the Apache Board request such a service - quite the
opposite in fact, there are reasons why a dial in conference is better
for such meetings, this was discussed recently when someone suggested
using Skype or equivalent.

As for other projects the ASF generally discourages any kind of
official synchronous communication as it excludes people in different
time zones and increases the difficulties for people who do not speak
English as a first language. That being said there might be some valid
use cases for this kind of thing. I can imagine some projects running
user focussed Q&A sessions, others might run occasional sessions to
help new developers configure dev machines. I can also imagine it
being useful during GSoC. However, I doubt infra will want to set-up
and maintain such a server unless a reasonable number of projects have
indicated they will use it.

As an OpenMeetings mentor and as a member of the Community Development
PMC I'd be happy to help you figure out what demand really exists
within the ASF. Then, if appropriate, we can then approach infra for
the resources. I note later in this thread it is indicated that
bandwidth is a problem. If there is a compelling enough reason then a
case could be made to increase the available bandwidth, but
demonstration of genuine need must to come first.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)