From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A server for Openmeetings Re: OpenMeetings status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by SebastianWagner)
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:43:05 GMT
As I see Ross has replied, I dont want to drag this thread out, but to answer your specific
questions below:

Alexei Fedotov wrote on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:59:17PM +0400:
> [somehow missed dev@]
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Alexei Fedotov
> <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @sebastian sure 20 Mbit/s server that cannot replace openmeetings.de
> > @tony I suspected that bandwidth can be a problem, I recall how Apache
> > Harmony guys were banned due to frequent svn checkouts

They werent banned due to bandwidth constraints, more that they were most likely killing the
SVN service for everyone else.

> > I recall Apache owned several donated servers at different places, and
> > the server don't need to be close to the whole Apache infra. Could one
> > of these servers be used, or these remote donated servers are no
> > longer available?

You need to be clear, the only donated hardware we use are machines running at Y! that are
part of our larger build farm.  They are not intended to run meeting servers. Yes our infrastructure
is global, and you are right the infrastructure doesnt neccesarily have to be in the same
rack as everything else.  But there are still some constraints, for example all locations
must be conected to Internet2, or be a direct peer of their service.  We also, dont tend to
keep spare physical machines around as we usually plan our growth and replacement cycle during
the budgetting process. In short we can provide you with a VM, but I would want to see incredibly
strong data to back up the 20Mb requirement.  As we will need to pass this up the chain to
our colo, and they their provider.

> >> Alexei, we dont have that amount of bandwidth to throw this.  Our main US circuit
is only 50Mb.  This has to provide all our other services too, such as svn, mail, www, mail-archives
etc.
> >> Right now we are pushinvg that circuit at over 100Mb during peak periods. Adding
another 20Mb is likely to upset folks at OSU.

> >> Other resources you request should be do-able without a great deal of strain.
 It's just the bandwidth requirements that make this look very unattractive.

--

Cheers,
Tony