From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 02:44:29 GMT

On 21/12/2011, at 12:54 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

>> An observation I wanted to make from this thread: we seem to talk a lot about a group
of people who have a CLA on file but are not committers (ASF sense of the word). It is great
if we can make signing CLAs easy and making contributions with one easy. However, I believe
that group of people should be small at any point in time - regular contributions should mean
that person is on the path to becoming a committer.

> The general sentiment as I understand it is that the number of people
> with an ICLA that aren't ASF committers will be expected to grow
> considerably. The general idea as I understand it is to make this step
> less painful so even less-than-regular contributors have an ICLA on
> file. It's also expected that this process will smooth the on-boarding
> process for new committers as well.

Less pain for those two things is certainly good, but not sure about the general sentiment.
We don't want it to end up establishing an environment where that form of contribution becomes
the norm. Every contribution is different, but in many cases projects need to encourage the
authors to stick around and enhance or support the work, or expand their involvement.

Apologies for mixing in a slightly different subject, though - this is related to how projects
use it, not what the tools need to enforce.

>> What I would find helpful is to list out the important scenarios, and how they'd
play out with the different approaches, along with pros and cons. Is that something that is
available from the CouchDB documentation?

> There aren't any docs on this currently because we're still operating
> in compliance with historical guidelines on moving patches through
> JIRA. The current check is the very strict, "every %ce field must be
> an Apache CouchDB committer," version.
>
> Sam has shown me a couple places to harvest email aliases and ICLA
> email addresses from so I plan on opening this up to any email address
> from those sources, with the future being an LDAP query (under the
> assumption that having an ICLA on file results in an LDAP entry).

Understood, and this all sounds fine to me.

I just meant if this thread continues, I'd find it easier to digest if we look at specific
contribution/commit/push scenarios and what the pros/cons of different approaches are than
the more general discussion being had now.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter