From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:30:46 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue here is that I'm uncomfortable *not* interfering with these
> workflows. Especially for new projects that  might not have
> internalized the various requirements for pushing code. Especially for
> projects that have spent a good deal of time operating in mode that is
> quite specifically not at the same rigorous standards of what it takes
> to push code into an Apache project. There absolutely should be a step
> where committers are forced to think, "Is this code acceptable for
> inclusion?"

I see the point, but isn't that exactly what the Incubator is here for.

In Cordova (Callback) the committers are already figuring out these
rules even when their code is still on Github with no such
restrictions; see for example
http://markmail.org/message/ro7mkcdr6j7awhm2.

> I'm more than willing to change this step so that we use ldap or even
> just a text file listing the email address of anyone that is covered
> by an ICLA or CCLA. But just removing it and hoping that new
> committers grok what it means to vet provenance and maintain the legal
> standing of their code base doesn't strike me as a workable solution.
> This way new projects have zero questions on what can be included when
> they go to commit.

We don't have such a mechanism for svn. Why would we need one for git?

BR,

Jukka Zitting