From Simon Pepping <sampepp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:36:32 GMT
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 00:15, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:

> * So, instead of checking the %ce field, my proposal would be a check
> that verifies that either the recorded author or at least one of the
> (possible multiple) signers-off of an incoming git commit has a CLA on
> file. And for this to only require rewriting of commits ("git commit
> --amend -s") when actually needed, the check should be against all the
> recorded CLAs (ideally with possibly multiple email addresses per CLA)
> instead of just the committers of a project. Thus an Apache committer
> would only need to modify an incoming commit if its author doesn't
> already have a CLA on file.
>
> The author is the person contributing the code, and therefore the holder
of the copyright on it, and therefore the person who can license it to the
ASF. The committer is the accidental person who last added the commit to
his repository in a way that rewrote the Committer field. His IP is none.
Therefore the above proposal is better than applying rules to the Committer
field.

Simon