From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:05:25 GMT
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On the other hand, I do worry about people that aren't completely
>> familiar with Git will end up shooting themselves in the foot. And
>> while we do have policies in place to handle such mess ups, why not
>> spend a bit of time developing a system that automatically prevents a
>> large class of accidents?
>
> The problem here is that such an automatic prevention system is
> interfering with valid workflows (i.e. pull requests) of projects like
> Cordova/Callback that are already familiar with Git.

The issue here is that I'm uncomfortable *not* interfering with these
workflows. Especially for new projects that  might not have
internalized the various requirements for pushing code. Especially for
projects that have spent a good deal of time operating in mode that is
quite specifically not at the same rigorous standards of what it takes
to push code into an Apache project. There absolutely should be a step
where committers are forced to think, "Is this code acceptable for
inclusion?"

I'm more than willing to change this step so that we use ldap or even
just a text file listing the email address of anyone that is covered
by an ICLA or CCLA. But just removing it and hoping that new
committers grok what it means to vet provenance and maintain the legal
standing of their code base doesn't strike me as a workable solution.
This way new projects have zero questions on what can be included when
they go to commit.