From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:53:15 GMT
> Right. With Git the one who made the commit could well be someone
> who's not an official committer. (Yes, the traditional terminology is
> breaking down here...)

Heh, yeah. It gets a bit weird when there are three or more roles
involved in what used to be one. Though the issue here is that I've
been running under the assumption that we should be very specific in
checking who made the commit and verified that the committer is in
fact ok to be committing.

Granted, this is a bit at odds with the role of the person pushing the
commit to the official repository. In terms of SVN, the person sending
the push is most analogous to the SVN committer. In which case, for
provenance we'd be just as (historically speaking) thorough in
tracking only this.

On the other hand, the fact that we have a fairly easy method to track
that every commit was committed and/or authored by someone that has an
ICLA/CCLA on file, we could be even more precise in our tracking of
commits.

As always, the first and foremost barrier to managing our repositories
lies in the hands of each person with authorization to push code to
the canonical repository (traditionally referred to as a committer).
On the other hand, I do worry about people that aren't completely
familiar with Git will end up shooting themselves in the foot. And
while we do have policies in place to handle such mess ups, why not
spend a bit of time developing a system that automatically prevents a
large class of accidents?