From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:57:37 GMT
On Dec 20, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

>> <giant snip>
>>>
>>> Once again I'm going to point out that current patches must move
>>> through JIRA. Assuming people follow this policy then the %ce field is
>>> by definition an ASF committer on the Apache project in question. Full
>>> stop.
>>>

>> What exactly do you mean by "patch moves through jira" for git?
>
> Ie, the patch goes to JIRA, the ASF committer the downloads the patch
> from JIRA, applies, reviews, and then if it checks out, finally pushes
> it to master (or where ever is appropriate for integration based on
> that project's workflows). Cassandra has scripts [1] that automate
> most of this.

Apache projects are not required to use Jira.  Contributions can
be contributed using any of our communication forums and they are
considered to be under the Apache License 2.0.  If the author happens
to have a CLA on file, then the CLA overrides the normal contribution
license automatically -- there is no need to check that.

There is no reason to apply this extra level of control within
infrastructure for checking things that any reasonably competent
committer can be trusted to do themselves.  And there is a known
reason not to do so, namely that the committer field in git has
nothing to do with the provenance of the code, but may in fact
vary for the same individual depending on whether they are
interacting with a public repository or their work's repository,
or maybe even their club's repository.  Github is certainly one
example where the committer names will not match our avail names,
and one of the goals of this effort is to enable folks to
use Github as one of many forums for collaborating with potential
recruits.

Yes, that opinion comes from me speaking as a board member and
author of the Apache License, and has previously been cleared
with Apache's legal team for a long ago discussion with Incubator.
We don't need a CLA on file to accept contributions from non-committers.
We just need a clear intent by the author to contribute under
our normal terms.

>> I think it means that there's a jira issue in apache jira with a  pointer to the
(set of) git commits and the commit message in git has the jira #.  On the projects I work
with (with svn) the mention of the jira in the commit message results in jira being able to
link to the changes, and we expect all committers to have a jira issue for all non-trivial
changes.  I hope the same will be true for git.  I think a pointer to the git change set in
some repo is equivalent to attaching a patch to a jira issue.

> I'm not sure how a pointer to some change set satisfies the policy.
> The underlying motivation for submitting the patch to JIRA is to
> indicate "I submit this code to be included under the ASL 2.0" which
> doesn't seem to hold up if the code isn't actually attached to the
> ticket with the little check box clicked.

We have archives on all of our communication channels.  We don't
need the silly checkbox.  We never have.

>> I'm really not understanding what the point of doing anything other than checking
that the person who pushes the work into the asf repository is an asf committer on the project.
 That's all we do for svn, right?  We can do reports or whatever on the additional git metadata
but until there's a demonstrated problem I don't see why we need to solve it.

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

> Git is not the same as SVN. This is specifically dealing with the
> distributed nature of Git and how we can deal with enforcing
> constraints on code uploaded to ASF canonical repos that may have come
> from anywhere. As I've tried to point out if we're just going to
> maintain the same policies we have for SVN then this is all moot
> because patches would have to be applied by hand instead being pulled
> from arbitrary remote repos.

No, they wouldn't.  What makes you think that I can't implement a
tool to apply changes found on a forked subversion instances?
I certainly have the right to do so as an Apache committer.
That is a common operating procedure for some of our projects
where we have a commercially-supported fork in house.
I am trusted to commit to the ASF repository only those changes
that are intended for contribution to Apache.  Git just includes
those tools for us and standardizes the process/identifiers.

> The entire motivation for having these
> checks is to maintain the provenance for contributions without
> requiring that every patch moves through JIRA.

Again, there is no such requirement for commits/pushes at Apache.
The person responsible for moving the bits into our repository
is responsible for verifying that they have the right to do so
before the push is made.  The authors do not need to have a CLA
on file even if the contribution is massive -- CLAs are only
required for the people who want an account at Apache and thus
are allowed to make the decision to push those bits into our
repository.

The CLA has requirements on submitting third-party contributions
that must be adhered to when pushing stuff to Apache.  We expect
that those requirements will be satisfied by the commit log.
As it turns out, that is best accomplished by ensuring that the
original committer and author identifiers remain those of the
original author and not that of the pusher, even if it is the
same person (with different IDs on different repos).  If not,
the pusher needs to change the log in order to add a
"Submitted-by: ..." note and whatever else needs to be said in
accordance with the CLA.  This is independent of how the
contribution is originally submitted to Apache, and it is the
PMC's responsibility to ensure all its committers do so when
appropriate.

....Roy