From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:40:35 GMT
On Dec 15, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On the other hand, I do worry about people that aren't completely
>>> familiar with Git will end up shooting themselves in the foot. And
>>> while we do have policies in place to handle such mess ups, why not
>>> spend a bit of time developing a system that automatically prevents a
>>> large class of accidents?
>>
>> The problem here is that such an automatic prevention system is
>> interfering with valid workflows (i.e. pull requests) of projects like
>> Cordova/Callback that are already familiar with Git.
>>

> The issue here is that I'm uncomfortable *not* interfering with these
> workflows. Especially for new projects that  might not have
> internalized the various requirements for pushing code. Especially for
> projects that have spent a good deal of time operating in mode that is
> quite specifically not at the same rigorous standards of what it takes
> to push code into an Apache project. There absolutely should be a step
> where committers are forced to think, "Is this code acceptable for
> inclusion?"
>
> I'm more than willing to change this step so that we use ldap or even
> just a text file listing the email address of anyone that is covered
> by an ICLA or CCLA. But just removing it and hoping that new
> committers grok what it means to vet provenance and maintain the legal
> standing of their code base doesn't strike me as a workable solution.
> This way new projects have zero questions on what can be included when
> they go to commit.

Umm, except that check is wrong.  We don't require an iCLA from everyone
who contributes to an Apache project.  We only require iCLAs for people
who submit major changes (like whole new feature sets) or if they want
an account on apache.org (pusher).  The folks who push the code changes
to Apache are responsible for ensuring that we have the rights when
they push third-party code.

I agree with Jukka -- the infrastructure for git should not add
restrictions that we have never needed for svn.

....Roy