From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:05:38 GMT
[snip a whole lot of very useful information about contributions, CLAs and the license that
I agree with Roy about]

On 21/12/2011, at 2:57 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The CLA has requirements on submitting third-party contributions
> that must be adhered to when pushing stuff to Apache.  We expect
> that those requirements will be satisfied by the commit log.
> As it turns out, that is best accomplished by ensuring that the
> original committer and author identifiers remain those of the
> original author and not that of the pusher, even if it is the
> same person (with different IDs on different repos).  If not,
> the pusher needs to change the log in order to add a
> "Submitted-by: ..." note and whatever else needs to be said in
> accordance with the CLA.  This is independent of how the
> contribution is originally submitted to Apache, and it is the
> PMC's responsibility to ensure all its committers do so when
> appropriate.

TL;DR summary: given that, I think the check is still useful (summary & question at the
end if you don't wish to educate me on git)

I am a relative newbie to git, so I may just need someone to explain something to me more.

In some situations Roy has suggested changing the commit log would be required. My understanding
is that requires something like:

$ git rebase -i

This will also change the "Committer" field, leaving "Author" intact.

Jukka has suggested "Signed-off-by:", which I understand can be done with:

$ git --amend -s

This will also change the "Committer" field, leaving "Author" intact, making the change fairly
pointless for our purposes. It can't be done easily to commits > 1 deep in the history.

Unless I'm missing something, any change to the commit logs means Committer is made to be
your own address. Is that right?

If so, we are only talking about examples where the commit log remains 100% intact.

Working through an example:

A pull request referred to by Jukka: https://github.com/callback/callback-ios/pull/36
Contains a commit: https://github.com/forcedotcom/callback-ios/commit/1c3a5b3d70ede5853f1cae35a6159d48192685cb

-----
commit 1c3a5b3d70ede5853f1cae35a6159d48192685cb