From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: @apache.org commit address requirement (Was: Git hosting is go)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:03:52 GMT

On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
> <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
<giant snip>

> Once again I'm going to point out that current patches must move
> through JIRA. Assuming people follow this policy then the %ce field is
> by definition an ASF committer on the Apache project in question. Full
> stop.

What exactly do you mean by "patch moves through jira" for git?

I think it means that there's a jira issue in apache jira with a  pointer to the (set of)
git commits and the commit message in git has the jira #.  On the projects I work with (with
svn) the mention of the jira in the commit message results in jira being able to link to the
changes, and we expect all committers to have a jira issue for all non-trivial changes.  I
hope the same will be true for git.  I think a pointer to the git change set in some repo
is equivalent to attaching a patch to a jira issue.

I'm really not understanding what the point of doing anything other than checking that the
person who pushes the work into the asf repository is an asf committer on the project.  That's
all we do for svn, right?  We can do reports or whatever on the additional git metadata but
until there's a demonstrated problem I don't see why we need to solve it.

thanks
david jencks