From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Re: Wave project: Git for source control
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:38:59 GMT
Paul J. Davis:
> Yuri,
>
> Support for Git as a primary VCS is still a work in progress. There's
> currently no ETA for when it might be available for general use by ASF
> projects.
>
> Paul
Hi Paul,

could you please give a little bit more insight about the current roadmap and
status of GIT for the ASF? There has been no update on this subject since
april and working is done on this subject since 10 months now. On februar 10th
you sounded like GIT support would be almost ready.[1]

On the other hand, Jukka Zittig, Mark Struberg and me have been supporting an
existing solution[2], that is already used in production since at least a year
at the Android project, the Eclipse Foundation, eBay, Intel, Red Hat, SAP AG
and several others. The Android and Eclipse projects have the same legal
requirements then the ASF.

I've never received any answer, why the ASF could not use a turn-key ready,
production proved and feature complete solution and rather prefers to build
it's own duck tape scripts.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1215
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_%28software%29

Please, without any bad feelings, could somebody give me an answer, why Gerrit
doesn't even get considered? I'm afraid that once any GIT hosting solution has
been deployed at the ASF, it'll be there to stay, even if a much better
solution exists. I've written last week (without response) how time consuming
the current commit process at the ASF is:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1361

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro