From "Upayavira" ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Wave project: Git for source control
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:40:10 GMT

On Monday, September 26, 2011 10:38 AM, "Thomas Koch" <thomas@koch.ro>
wrote:
> Paul J. Davis:
> > Yuri,
> >
> > Support for Git as a primary VCS is still a work in progress. There's
> > currently no ETA for when it might be available for general use by ASF
> > projects.
> >
> > Paul
> Hi Paul,
>
> could you please give a little bit more insight about the current roadmap
> and
> status of GIT for the ASF? There has been no update on this subject since
> april and working is done on this subject since 10 months now. On februar
> 10th
> you sounded like GIT support would be almost ready.[1]
>
> On the other hand, Jukka Zittig, Mark Struberg and me have been
> supporting an
> existing solution[2], that is already used in production since at least a
> year
> at the Android project, the Eclipse Foundation, eBay, Intel, Red Hat, SAP
> AG
> and several others. The Android and Eclipse projects have the same legal
> requirements then the ASF.
>
> I've never received any answer, why the ASF could not use a turn-key
> ready,
> production proved and feature complete solution and rather prefers to
> build
> it's own duck tape scripts.
>
> [1]
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1215
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_%28software%29
>
> Please, without any bad feelings, could somebody give me an answer, why
> Gerrit
> doesn't even get considered? I'm afraid that once any GIT hosting
> solution has
> been deployed at the ASF, it'll be there to stay, even if a much better
> solution exists. I've written last week (without response) how time
> consuming
> the current commit process at the ASF is:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1361

The ASF has unique needs. I bet you that github didn't us raw git, they
have plenty stuff wrapping it to make it work well for them.

Apache has needs too that need to be met that aren't met by git by
default (code provenance being a significant one).

At present, Paul has proposed to use Git as primary VCS for one project,
as a trial. Right now, there's no guarantee whatsoever that this will be
a success, either from a technical perspective, or from a community
perspective, so it is not possible to give a timeline for the rollout of
git across the ASF.

You say above that any git solution once in place will be there for
good. Isn't that in itself a reason to take the time to do it right?

As to Wave, Wave needs to move over to SVN, and ignore any experiments
with Git for the time being. If Git becomes available for rollout, then
at that point the community can consider migrating.

Upayavira