From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP custom-asf schema - family name?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:56:43 GMT
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 June 2011 10:14, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> However our web-pages are currently mainly sorted on "last name",
>>> rather than full name.
>>
>> You're already suggesting a system that would allow us to change the
>> way we do sorting (currently, manually by people adding their entries
>> where they think it's appropriate).
>>
>> I'm just suggesting that we change to doing something that's nice and simple :-)
>>

>> I think you 'misunderestimate' the problem. Doing a string sort on the
>> public name doesn't make it go away, but it's the most easily
>> automatable, "least wrong" option I can come up with.
>
> Perhaps, but there's already an automated script (Perl) that checks
> the sort order within icla.txt.

Ok, but ICLA doesn't have the public/private distinction afaik, and
it's not something we publish, right?

Your argument above, and the topic *I* understood we were discussing,
was about our public webpages.

> The sorting does not have to be perfect, but knowing the primary
> sort-key would help a lot.
>
> It could be expressed as the number of space-separated words counting
> from the right of the public name; default 1.

It could; it could also be expressed as the number of space-separated
words counting from the left of the public name, default 1.

But why not simply sort on the public name, as it is presented?

Noirin